Wyoming Certificate of Authority: Out of State Registration

If you already own an LLC registered in another state and you want to do business in Wyoming, then you must complete the process of Foreign Registration. Foreign registrations are filed with the Secretary of State’s office.

How to File a Wyoming Certificate of Authority

To register an out-of-state business in Wyoming, you must submit a Certificate of Authority to the Secretary of State. Included with the Certificate of Authority, you must file a Certificate of Good Standing from your home state.

  1. Obtain a Certificate of Good Standing

    A Certificate of Good Standing (also called a Certificate of Existence) is obtained from your home state’s Secretary of State. This document simply asserts that your business exists and is current with its compliance and tax requirements in your home state. For the Certificate of Good Standing to be valid, it can be no older than 60 days when submitted with your Certificate of Authority.

  2. Hire a Wyoming Registered Agent

    You cannot register an out-of-state entity without a registered agent in Wyoming. Since you must list your registered agent on the Certificate of Authority, you will need to hire one before you apply for foreign registration.

  3. File an Application for Certificate of Authority

    An Application for Certificate of Authority can only be submitted by mail. When filing this document, you must include your Certificate of Good Standing and the filing fee of $150. The Secretary of State specifies that you must submit two copies of the Application, one originally-signed document and one photocopy.

    You can mail the Application to:

    Wyoming Secretary of State
    2020 Carey Avenue, Suite 700
    Cheyenne, WY 82002-0020

Annual Maintenance for Foreign Companies

Foreign entities registered in Wyoming must fulfill the same annual maintenance requirements as domestic companies. This includes the filing of an Annual Report, as well as the payment of any sales tax for business conducted within the state.

Annual Report

Foreign companies must file an Annual Report each year on the first day of the month in which the business was originally registered in Wyoming. If your business registered in Wyoming on April 21, then your Annual Report must be filed each year by April 1.

There is a $60 filing fee, as well as a $2 convenience fee for all Annual Reports submitted online.

Sales Tax License

Foreign entities can apply for a Sales Tax License with the Department of Revenue. The application is only one page, and the application fee is only $60. Once your application is reviewed, the Department of Revenue will mail you an information packet outlining ongoing filing requirements and sales tax deadlines for your business.